Up: Lexical knowledge acquisition for
Previous: Types of knowledge source
- Identify and acquire the data resources needed for construction of the lexical database and, in the second instance, the system lexicon.
- Construct a basic wordlist from the available data and
decide on intensional and extensional lexical coverage
for the lexical database
and the system lexicon.
- Design the lexicon database to be acquired so as to maximise the information available for the development of the system lexicon.
- Consider establishing a UNIX tool library for convenient ASCII format
conversion in database construction, transformation and transfer, in addition to using standard database software.
- Results of the EAGLES Working Group on Computational Lexica should be
consulted for the design of lexicon models
and lexical resources for written language; some of the
techniques are also applicable to spoken language lexica and lexical
- Do not underestimate the time and effort needed for constructing and validating software for lexicon construction and lexical lingware : lexicon construction is labour intensive.
- If possible, use a commercial database management system (DBMS), and
consult Appendix H.
In this area, there is an urgent need for the development of standardised lexicon construction tools and the provision of lexical resources.
EAGLES SWLG SoftEdition, May 1997. Get the book...