Next: System architecture for speech
Previous: Goals of the chapter
The material presented in this chapter is relevant both
to corpus characterisation and to design and evaluation issues
in automatic speech recognition.
The chapter is different from most of the other chapters:
- Language models as such are an important part of
the whole recognition system , and therefore
this chapter will give more details of the
techniques and algorithms.
- To fully understand the problems and implications of
language modelling, it is necessary to consider
some of the statistical and mathematical problems
- The sections are written in such a way
that, at first reading, the reader may skip the mathematical parts.
- Most of the mathematical details and derivations
have been put in an appendix (see 7.8).
The reader should consult also the following chapters:
- spoken language lexica,
- assessment methodologies and experimental design,
- assessment of recognition systems .
EAGLES SWLG SoftEdition, May 1997. Get the book...