Next: Types of knowledge source
Up: Lexical knowledge acquisition for
Previous: Lexical knowledge acquisition for
A prerequisite for lexical acquisition is to define the following items:
- An application dependent lexicon model
which defines relevant types of lexical information.
- A lexical database model which defines the storage structure for lexical information.
- A characterisation of the sources of lexical data
(e.g. orthographic transcriptions,
manual information provided systematically or
ad hoc by a lexicographer)
- Definition of procedures for constructing a lexicon from the data on the basis of these models and sources.
- Definition of procedures for validating the consistency of the database.
- Definition of procedures for extracting complex lexical information (e.g. coverage statistics for attributes and attribute combinations).
- Tools for implementing the procedures.
The logistics involved in these procedures are entirely non-trivial in a large
project or consortium, and especially so with
a complex spoken language understanding system
or speech-to-speech translation system.
EAGLES SWLG SoftEdition, May 1997. Get the book...