First page Back Continue Last page Graphics
The initial result of fieldwork is Language Documentation.
The WELD paradigm (Workable Endangered Language Documentation) includes a charter of principles for a modern and inclusive language documentation paradigm: "Language documentation must be ..."
- Comprehensive: all languages, data annotated with sounds, meanings and functions
- Efficient: locally usable enabling hardware (Simputer) and software (annotation, lexicography and corpus management tools)
- State-of-the-art: not only using modern documentary technologies (XML), but also systematisation aids (multimodal concordancing) and machine learning (lexicon and grammar induction from corpora)
- Affordable: Local communities cannot afford Internet connections
- Fair: Where data are given freely - tools must be given freely, or else the "coffee exploitation scenario" holds
Dafydd Gibbon (2002). Workable Efficient Language Documentation: a Report and a Vision. In: ELSNEWS 11.3, Autumn 2002, p. 3-5.